Thursday, August 29, 2013

I'm not available

I'm happy to say that I'll shortly be starting a new position as a PostgreSQL DBA and Python developer for Zoro Tools!

We software types seem to have hardware envy sometimes. We have "builds" and "engines" and "forges" and "factory functions". But as it turns out, the "Tools" in "Zoro Tools" isn't a metaphor for cleverly arranged bytes. That's right - they're talking about the physical objects in your garage! Imagine! Lucky for me the interviewers didn't ask to review my junior high shop project.

So disregard my earlier post about being available. Thanks for all your well-wishes!

Depending on how you reckon it, my job search arguably only took forty minutes, though it took a while for gears to grind and finalize everything. Years of building relationships at PyCon made this the best job search ever; the only unpleasant part was having to choose from among the opportunities to work with my favorite technologies and people. I'm very glad I made the investment in PyCon over the years... and if you're thinking "that's easy for you to say, I can't afford it", don't forget PyCon's financial aid program.

And speaking of conferences, I'll be at Postgres Open next month (my first one!) - hope to see some of you there!

5 comments:

Dang said...

I'm jealous. Congratulations!

skm said...

This is excellent! I know people who work there. :)

Brent Kerlin said...

Cargorats!

Unknown said...

Beste wishes!

Rakesh Singh said...

Well done to Zorro Tools for making such a great choice. :-)