Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Unicode error with TurboGears and Oracle

Thanks to kap_ravi's comment, I tracked down a surprisingly big and poorly-documented stumbling block for folks using TG with Oracle.

I've updated the original TG+Oracle blog post to reflect it, but the gist of it is that you're likely to get
SQLError: (NotSupportedError) Variable_TypeByValue(): unhandled data
type unicode
errors unless you include
sqlalchemy.convert_unicode = True
in your .cfg files.

Configuring Oracle for proper Unicode use may avoid the need for this; I'm not sure. My dreadfully mononational working environment has prevented me from developing any Unicode experience.

No comments: