Thursday, July 03, 2008

serendipity

I just met with Amanda Laucher at the Blue Moose Cafe in Morgantown, WV.

I don't live here; she doesn't live here; we weren't at a conference; we didn't expect to meet. We were both in town on family visits, and both seeking out an internet fix. (I'm visiting my father-in-law at Ruby Hospital - but writing Python there, hah.)

She's a serious geek-community addict like me - she's organizing the DevLink Bus. She gave me great advice for PyOhio and tipped me off to other upcoming events, and I gave her some ideas from PyCon. It was great!

That's just really cool. Someday, when wireless access is ubiquitous, geekish nomads will no longer concentrate themselves in a handful of WiFi hotspots, and unforeseeable meetings like these will become more rare. That will be the downside of the future.

3 comments:

PandamoniAL said...

Hey! I don't know; I imagine even when hotspots are everywhere, I will still enjoy the atmosphere of the coffee shop. Sometimes I like to people watch while I work. It is still pretty crazy that we met in WV and not at a geek gathering. I'll see you at PyOhio!

Unknown said...

Catherine,
I would like to join Dayton Oracle Users Group and attend the next meeting. What is your email so I can send my contact info. thanks Bob

Unknown said...

Robert,

You can email me at sam18xgy4fz@liquidid.net, or just go to http://dayo.pbwiki.com/ or http://www.freelists.org/webpage/dayton-oracle for information on signing yourself up. Hope to see you there in September!