Thursday, February 02, 2006

Geek Event Aggregator's future

The strangest thing happened to me this morning. The clouds split open, and a beam of light shone down onto me. (Since I was sitting in my cubicle, this in itself was odd enough.) A Voice spoke from Heaven, and said,

"Catherine, remember that somewhat cheesy Geek Event Aggregator you put on HTML DB a while ago?"

"Yes, Lord?" I said. (That seemed like the obvious response. That the Almighty would speak with hyperlinks didn't seem too surprising.)

"Well, I have heard the cries of my people. I want you to rewrite your aggregator to both consume and provide events in iCalendar format. Also, interface it with upcoming.org - both to download and to upload. Behold, Python libraries for upcoming.org have already been written for you. And I'm thinking that Beautiful Soup might help you pluck event descriptions from the God-awful HTML jungles you find them in."

"It sounds wonderful, Lord," I said. "But when am I supposed to do this? I mean, you did just drop custody of our Godson into our lap. Time is not exactly abundant right now."

There was a long pause, then the Voice said, "Let me get back to you on that."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice job on the Geek Event Aggregator.

Anonymous said...

checkout www.eventsniper.com ! :)